Tóm tắt nội dung
The purpose of general health checkup
General health checkup helps you know your current health condition. Purpose of the periodic health examination:
- As primary prevention
- To identify risk factors for common chronic diseases
- To detect disease that has no apparent symptoms (secondary prevention)
- To make sure you are having a healthy lifestyle
How often do you need general health checkup?
It is recommended that they be performed every five years (for adults over 18) until age 40 and every one to three years thereafter. The requirements are for more frequent evaluations for those taking prescription medications.
What can you expect during a typical general health checkup?
A typical general health checkup may include the following:
Vital sign checks
This includes taking a blood pressure reading and checking your heart rate and respiratory rate.
The doctor will use tools to look in your eyes, ears, nose, and throat. They’ll listen to your heart and lungs. This exam also includes checking skin, hair, nails, examining your genitalia & rectum.
- Urine & blood test
- Image diagnosis:
- Heart and lung X-ray
- Breast (for women) and abdomen ultrasound
How long does it take for the general health checkup?
On average, it will take 3 hours to half a day to finish your general health checkup depending on your checkup package. To avoid affecting your schedule, check with your healthcare provider to set a suitable appointment.
How do you prepare for the general health checkup?
- Bring with you your medical and surgical history including: list of current medications you take, results from any recent or relevant tests, any symptoms or pain you are experiencing
- Fasting at least 8 hours before your appointment, avoid consuming fizzy drink, sugar, caffeine and other addictive sustain.
- Avoid getting X-ray if you are pregnant or suspect being pregnant
- Avoid getting your genitalia checked during menstruating
- Book an appointment with your healthcare provider to choose a suitable package as well as getting your questions answered beforehand